Thursday, April 16, 2009

Tis the season

I seem to affiliate albums with times of the year. I wonder if I'm the only person who does this. Sometimes the reason it simply because I bought the album at a certain time, but most of the time it's because the music just meshes or clashes with the particular season.

Could you listen to Animal Collective in the dead of winter? It's just too colorful. "The Lonesome Crowded West" in summer? I'm having too much fun to listen to something so lonely and deep. Summers are for "OK Computer", especially summer at dusk. I can see myself driving home from work at the parks listening to it. Sometimes I miss those days. Early fall is "Wish You Were Here", late fall "Led Zeppelin III". Bob Dylan is great in fall as well.

I say this because this time of year I always drag out "Abbey Road" for a few listens. It's not spring until I do. It just fits in with Spring perfectly for me, and it's not just because 'Here Comes the Sun' is on that album. The awakening for a cold winter, the optimism of a new year, the playfulness, I get all that from listening. I can't think of anything that matches so well. It's perfect. Try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment